I love Tinola

Saturday, May 22, 2010

A Poll Watchers Delimma

A few weeks ago I volunteered to be a Poll watcher for People Power Volunteer Center under Aquino-Roxas Bantay Balota. I was really exited to do the job its my first time to participate on a National Campaign like this and a National Election. It was just in a hurry that I said yes for this invitation I am suppose to Vote at my mom's home town, southern part of the province in the town of Inopacan. My cousin is the incumbent mayor and her wife is running for election since its the end of the term of the latter.
Moving on the hurry made me even more exited. I decided to stay since my name was not registered at my moms hometown for the reason that I was not able to vote in the 2007 election. Well yah so much for that, so I decided to say. Being a Poll watcher and be part of history. Its the start of an Automated election for this century.
So its May 10 election day. I was at the polling clustered precinct as early as 7am. I ate my breakfast, I only had a three hour sleep that night.
Everything went well though. The PCOS machine that was on my precinct did not work due to some technical issue but was then fixed soon after.
Now its 11am. My stomach is rumbling a bit. But I did not mind it. But then the clock ticks 12 and I'm starting to worry. My co-watchers from other political groups has had thier lunch delivered to them. Some of them even have snacks before thier lunches were delivered.
The clock tick 1pm and still there was no sign for food. Voters keeps on coming in like hell. The place was so warm and its melting me! I went to the other precinct to check on my other co-poll watcher from my group and some of them still has no lunch yet.
We called our headquarters but has not made any sound. We texted the coordinator assigned to us but was very hesitant to reply. Its really getting to my nerve. I'm about to explode with anger but I have to keep my cool. We then soon realized that the food that was for us was just delivered at the corner of the school block. Such as stupid thing to do for a coordinator earning thousand for doing the job! I have to name drop here. The good coordinator name is JUNNIE DAANTOS a barangay chairman from San Jose a place just a few kilometers from where I live.

It was such a relief when one my my co-poll watcher from the same precinct where I was assigned gave me a pack lunch from their group. Several hours after there came the good and responsible JUNNIE DAANTOS the coordinator carrying crates of packed meals from a motorcycle but still the same thing he just waited outside the school gate as if feeding refugees from prison camp. I informed the HQ about the whole incident and made an apology for such an inconvenience. Even though we are so preoccupied with a lot of concerns let us not forget the essence of service to humanity. It is our moral obligation to serve our people with extra ordinary diligence. So much so if you are paid thousands of pesos for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment